An article in www.thisismoney.co.uk recently named Wood Green as one of the major insurance hotspots. The information came from an analysis of insurance quotes by MoneySupermarket.com and according to the article, “The highest proportion of burglary claims come in Streatham, while Wood Green and Mill Hill in the capital also feature high up the list.”
You will see from the article that Julie Fisher, Head of Home Insurance at Moneysupermarket was quick to point out that this does not necessarily mean where we live is “bad or rife with crime”. Many criminals target more affluent areas for the better rewards on offer.
There are measures which we can take to help ourselves change this. There are quite a few Neighbourhood Watch groups formed in Noel Park which will help bring your home insurance premiums down if you sign up. In addition, the police have burglary prevention advice available on www.bumblebee.org. Below are some of their top tips :-
Mark or etch your property with your postcode, house or flat number or the first three letters of your house name.
Register items with a serial number at: http://www.immobilise.com
Do not leave your car keys or ID documents near doors, letterbox or windows.
- Always check who’s at the door and don’t open it if you feel anxious.
- Close and lock all your doors and windows, even if you are only going out for a few minutes.
- Keep your valuables out of sight.
- Leave some lights on if it will be dark before you get home.
- Install a visible burglar alarm.
- Always keep sheds and outbuildings locked.
- Cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away for days or weeks at a time.
The key thing to remember is that burglary is only one of the different crimes that will have an impact on your insurance premiums :-
- The security of your local area is important. Reporting crimes and suspicious behaviour to the police will help reduce crimes in the longer term.
- Beef up your home security. Leaving lights on timer switches will give the impression the house is occupied and closing curtains / blinds after dark.
- Install additional locks and strengthen your front door with a London Bar to make it more difficult to kick in.
- Most of all, having good relations with neighbours will help as many crimes have been prevented by neighbours alerting the police when something is amiss.
To sign up to a local neighbourhood watch group go to our Neighbourhood Watch webpage for more information.